What are the muscle groups that need to be trained called?
Our muscles are split into muscle groups and we train each muscle group separately. By concentrating on one muscle group at a time, we are able to exercise those muscles effectively.
- Abdominals – Abs or stomach area
- Quadriceps – Upper legs
Image from erfitnessandhealthyliving.blogspot.co.za describes the major muscles perfectly:
In what order do I exercise muscles?
Exercises for bigger muscles should be done before exercises for smaller muscles.
- Chest or back before shoulders, biceps or triceps, and shoulders before biceps or triceps.
- Quads or hamstrings before calves or abs.
Compound exercises should be done before isolation exercises.
- Bench press before dumbbell flyes.
- Overhead press before lateral raises.
- Squats before leg extensions.
- Barbell curl before dumbbell curls, and dumbbell curl before concentration curls.
Free weight/body weight exercises should come before machines.
- Squats or deadlifts before leg presses.
- Barbell bench press before incline machine press.